ODI 10g to 12 Upgrade – Potential Object Issues

ODI 10g to 12 Upgrade – Potential Object Issues

Background

Our client had upgraded from ODI 10g to ODI 11.1.1.6.0 and then ODI 12c. Our goal was to ensure all objects migrated correctly and were operating as expected.

Purpose

The purpose of this post is to identify some of the various issues we encountered with ODI objects when migrating from 10g to 12c. This is not intended to address all of the issues we encountered, but instead to discuss some of the more prevalent issues identified.

Steps We Performed:

First, we reviewed all packages for anomalies and noticed that in some cases the global variables did not import correctly. Although the variables had been imported along with the packages, they were not recognized within the package. These variables were removed and added back to the packages which corrected the issue.

The next step we performed was to review each interface individually. We visually compared the 10g interfaces with the 12c interfaces to ensure all filters, mappings, integration knowledge modules, etc. migrated correctly. We noticed some objects did not migrate as expected and needed some updates. Examples of objects with issues included aggregation components incorrectly migrating when not needed, invalid manual ‘group by’ clauses, and inactive mappings migrating as active mappings.

In the case of aggregation components, we found that some expressions in 10g mappings incorrectly migrated into an aggregation component. We either removed the aggregation component altogether or replaced it with an expression component:

For the various interfaces that migrated with incomplete or no ‘group by’ clause, we manually reviewed each case. We updated missing references and defined group by clauses where they were not imported:

 

Finally, we identified that various mappings in 10g which had been marked as inactive were migrated as active mappings. The interfaces ran as expected after the mappings were marked inactive.

Leave a Reply